What Is Home Air Conditioner Maintenance?
A home air conditioner is a great invention that ensures you're relaxed in the summer and warm in the winter. While it may be evident to some, not everyone knows what air conditioning maintenance is. This means having your unit serviced at least once annually by an HVAC professional. Need to learn more about the costs of AC maintenance here.
Why Should I Have Home Air Conditioner Maintenance?
When you don't have your A/C serviced yearly, there are several problems this can cause:
If dust builds up on or around your unit's outside compressor, high pressure could force the blades off (or blow out) of balance; if dirt goes inside through an intake vent, your compressor could overheat. Failure to do so will result in your system not working at maximum efficiency or even at all.
Maintaining your air conditioner is essential to keep it working efficiently, preventing damage and ultimately saving you money on costly repairs. An annual service will identify any early problems before they become significant issues. You may end up in a situation where the repairs cost more than a new cooling unit.
Learn more about how professional HVAC contractors will repair your air conditioning unit. Have the technician check your system's age (many systems need to be replaced by 15-20 years) and look at the following:
- Dirty or defective air filters - Dirty air filters restrict airflow, reducing efficiency; if not changed regularly, they can lead to higher energy costs as well as increased wear on the unit itself.
- Condensate drain line - To prevent water from collecting around your unit (where rodents may harbor), have a professional check for clogs in the line.
- Electrical system - Have the technician check to ensure all wiring is sound.
- Refrigerant levels - Units are sealed systems without adding refrigerant if they run low, so have your technician check the status yearly.
- Drain pan - Make sure it's clear of debris and has no cracks.